Saturday 29 April 2017

Indian Meditation For All PART-1


WHY MEDITATION ?
People want a variety of things from meditation. Some come for
peace, others for self control, some for power and some for silence,
but, of all the reasons, the ones which are most often expressed are
peace or peace of mind. At first sight there doesn't seem to be
much difference between the two but, on closer inspection, we
find that they are asking for different things. Peace is simply an
experience, whereas peace of mind is a way of life.
At some time or other we have all enjoyed a moment's peace, how-
ever fleeting. Simply to experience peace is not actually so
difficult. Peace is something easily attainable through the practice
of meditation because this is what meditation is specifically
designed to give. However, to attain peace of mind implies that I
want to experience peace constantly. While I go about my daily life,
I need to be in control of myself to the extent that I can have
whatever experience I choose, when I choose. To experience
constant peace of mind, I need something more than just a
meditation technique. After all, in the middle of a dispute with the
shop assistant over the change, I can't just sit myself down and
spend five minutes delving into the deep recesses of the self to
regain that temporarily lost inner peace! It is the experience of
peace, previously gained through meditation, which I need to be
able to use later on in my practical life, especially at times when it
is not easy to be peaceful. If I can't use my meditation to bring
benefit to my daily life, is it really of any use to me?
Therefore the emphasis in this meditation course will be a double
one.
Firstly, to teach a simple, effective method of meditation called
Raja Yoga, and to discuss and experiment with ideas on how to
deepen the experiences gained;
Secondly, to look at the reasons behind stress and tension in my
life so that, through understanding, I can begin to change the root
causes, using the power gained through meditation; and also to
clarify how I can translate peaceful feelings into peaceful actions,
so that peace becomes peace of mind.

WHAT IS MEDITATION?
Meditation is the process of getting to know myself completely,
both who I am 'inside' and how I react to what is 'outside'. Above
all. meditation is 'enjoying myself' in the literal sense of those
words. Through meditation, I discover a very different 'me' from
perhaps the stressed or troubled person who may seem superficially to be 'me'. I realise that my true nature, the real me, is actually very positive. I begin to discover an ocean of peace right here
on my own doorstep.
There is a lovely Indian story about a queen who had lost her valuable pearl necklace. In great distress, she looked everywhere for it
and, just when she was about to give up all hope of ever finding it,
she stopped and realised it was right there around her own neck!
Peace is very much like this. If I look for it outside in my physical
surroundings or in other people, I will always be disappointed; but,
if I learn where and how to look for peace within myself, I will find
that it has been here all the time.
The word 'meditation' is used to describe a number of different
uses of the mind, from contemplation and concentration to devotion and chanting. The word itself is probably derived from the
same root as the Latin word 'mederi', meaning 'to heal'
Meditation can certainly be looked on as a healing process, both
emotionally and mentally, and to a certain extent, physically too.
The simplest definition of meditation is: the right use of the mind
or positive thinking. It is not to deny thoughts, but to use them correctly Most forms of meditation employ two main practices:
* concentration exercises, often using an object such as a flower or
a candle, and
* the repetition of a mantra.
A mantra is a sacred phrase, word or sound which is repeated constantly, either loudly, silently or in thoughts only. It translates literally as 'man' - 'mind' and 'tra' - 'to free'; so, 'that which frees the
mind'. Raja Yoga meditation does involve concentration, but no
physical object is involved. The object of concentration is the
'inner' self Instead of repeating one word or phrase, as in a mantra,
a flow of thoughts is encouraged, thus using the mind in a natural
way.
This positive flow of thoughts is based on an accurate understanding of the self and so acts as a key to unlock the treasure trove of
peaceful experiences lying within.
MEDITATION PRACTICE
Sit in a comfortable position with the back straight. You can either sit
on a cushion on the floor cross-legged or, if this is uncomfortable, sit
on a chair. Choose a quiet place away from noise or visual distraction.
Gentle background music may be played, as this helps to create a
relaxed, light atmosphere. Position this article in front of you and read
over the following words slowly and silently.  Aim to experience and
visualise the words in your mind so that you begin to feel what is being
described.
THOUGHTS FOR MEDITATION
Let me imagine that nothing exists outside this room........
I feel completely insulated from the outside world and free to explore
my inner world.......
I turn all my attention inward, concentrating my thought energy on
the centre of the forehead..........
I feel a sense of detachment from my physical body and the physical
Surroundings......
I become aware of the stillness around me and within me.............
A feeling of natural peacefulness begins to steal over me............
Waves of peace gently wash over me, removing any restlessness and
tension from my mind.....
I concentrate on this feeling of deep peace...
just peace
I....am.... peace ...
Peace is my true state of being....
My mind becomes very calm and clear.....
I feel easy and content.....
having returned to my natural consciousness of peace.....
I sit for a while, enjoying this feeling of calmness and serenity ....
Plan to practise repeating these or similar thoughts to yourself for about ten minutes at least two times a day. The best time is in the
morning  a wash or shower, before you begin your day's activities. Another good time is in the evening, when your day's activities are over. During the day, while performing any activities, keep
reminding yourself:
'Peace is my true nature'.

As you keep practising this meditation, such positive and peaceful
thoughts will arise in the mind more and more easily, and peace of
mind will become increasingly more natural.

NEXT-WHO AM I (MEDITATION) PART-2


No comments:

Post a Comment